Monday, March 2, 2009

Singapore -Day Three On Your Mark

Today was the final prep day to get everything ready for Singapore Bible College's Missions Emphasis Week. SBC is a multicultural seminary in the heart of Singapore. It has about 500 students from 22 different countries. I have been told that we should see between 300 and 400 students each day for the chapel programs and a packed house for the peak International Night event on Friday. I will speak Tuesday through Friday in chapel, lead a workshop on Wednesday, and speak at the Friday night event. I am excited about the week, but I have to confess that it is still a little strange to see my face on the promotional posters around campus.

This afternoon I met with the worship team to walk through the logistics for each day. They have a great plan in place that should highlight the diverse cultures that claim this campus as home. This evening I had dinner and an extended time with the Student Missions Fellowship that his responsible for leading this event. They are an amazing group. They come from: Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, India, and Holland. They raised some great questions and I got to hear many of their stories of how they came to the school and what they hope for next in their life and ministry. Meeting students like these give me great hope for the future of the Church. They are also a powerful picture of the truly global nature of the church. It is my hope to help the church where I serve truly capture an understanding of what God is doing in the world and where we can be a part of it. The good news is that I believe we are moving in the right direction.

The day also gave me two hours with a long time colleague from our work in this region. We have shared a 15 year friendship. Our hairlines and hair colors have changed, but the depth of the friendship remains. I think that there will be several opportunities to work together again in the days ahead.

With this I close another day in Singapore. With the break of morning I will put on my track shoes and get ready for the sprint through the week. Thanks for taking the time to read the blog and for remembering me in your prayers this week.

Grace and Peace, Tom

1 comment:

Anna and Max said...

Just wanted you to know that I will be praying for you and all of our crew there with you everyday. Go with God's blessings, and may the good Lord keep you safe with his arms wrapped around you. May your words be His words and may the people see the Lord's love through you! Have a very safe trip home! Together in Christ, Anna