Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Singapore - Day Four Away We Go

The Missions Emphasis Week at Singapore Bible College had its formal kick off this morning. I think we are off to a great start. The students seem to respond to the message I brought them this morning. It sparked some conversations this afternoon. It is amazing to stand in front of the cultural and ethnic diversity that calls this campus home. As I looked out over the crowd, I could not help but think that I was looking at the future Christian leadership of Asia. The students emerge from over 25 countries across Asia and will all return to their home countries at graduation. This seminary is playing a vital role in God's work in this region of the world. I am thankful that they are allowing me to play a small part.

I also had the opportunity to spend some time at lunch with three staff members and hear their hopes and dreams for their students. The three represented three different ethnic traditions, but spoke with one voice in the joy to be a part of the school. I am glad for their heart for their students and their understanding of the role the students could play in the Kingdom in the day ahead.

The afternoon offered a bit of down time to tweak my message for tomorrow. I want to make sure that it is as relevant as possible. I also had some time to read and some quiet time to rest and reflect.

The day closed with a great seafood dinner with the husband and wife team that are responsible for my invitation to SBC. We shared an amazing Chinese seafood dinner. We also took some time for tea and to talk about what God is doing in this place.

I miss my family and will be glad when they get here in a couple of days. I am thankful for the church family at First Baptist Church of Oklahoma City and my ticket is a round trip ticket back to OKC when the trip is done. I am thankful that the church would give me the time and support to spend some time at Singapore Bible College and with the students and faculty here. I think I will come home refreshed and renewed and ready for our next season in ministry together.

Grace and Peace, Tom

No comments: