Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Singapore - Day Five WOW!

It has been a very good day. The crowd at chapel was great and the response to my message was immediate. As soon as the chapel service was over I had several students schedule time with me to talk about their lives, their sense of call, and what God could be doing in the lives and ministries. These one-on-one conversations are a critical part of why I was willing to come to Singapore. It is a good thing to be able to challenge several hundred students to consider the missions call. It is a better thing when you get to see them begin to respond. The first one-on-one was immediately after the chapel service. He is a gifted man with a powerful future in missions. I am glad that he is becoming my friend.

Today I also had the opportunity to join the faculty for lunch and a time of prayer and worship. The Principal/President of the seminary invited me to bring a word of encouragement and challenge to the faculty. I claimed about five minutes or so to talk about what I had heard from the voices of the students and from those around the meeting table about the unique opportunity this school has to impact all of Asia. I truly believe that this is one of the most important and strategic schools in the region for the development of the next generation of Christian leadership. If their students return to the home countries with a heart of missions and a passion for the unreached then they could turn the world upside down for the sake of the gospel.

The afternoon offered an opportunity to meet with another student. This meeting should hold particular interest for the folks at First Baptist Church of Oklahoma City. The student is a young Chin women raised in the home of a key Chin pastor. She was able to give me valuable information that should help me be a better pastor - and for us to be a better church - for the Chin community in Oklahoma City.

The day concluded with a dinner with one of the missions professors here. He is an engaging gentleman with a great heart for the world and keen understand of missiology that could be transformational here.

I am so thankful for the opportunity to be on this campus this week. I am seeing God stir and I rejoice in the moment. Tomorrow offers a time of dialogue with the students in a workshop setting and some time with area missions leaders. I look forward to the day.

The Asia team is now prepping to head this way. They leave OKC early Thursday morning. I eagerly look forward to their arrival.

Grace and Peace, Tom

No comments: