Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Power of One

Yesterday I led the funeral for Susan Miller. Because Alzheimer’s had claimed her memory before I arrived as pastor, I had to get to know Susan throw the eyes and stories of others. There is a litany of terms I heard about her. I was told that she was the consummate Southern lady, a gracious hostess, a loving wife. But, what amazed me about her life story was that long before people talked about women in ministry, she was one. Susan helped launched Baptist student ministry in Oklahoma, and served as the first Baptist Student Union Director for the University of Oklahoma. Can you imagine how many thousands of students have been impacted by the legacy of the ministry she helped birth? She is a testimony of what can happen when one person chooses to say “yes” to God’s call.

In appreciation, Tom

1 comment:

Eric and Lindsay said...

Susan and George were both great people and always a joy to be around. They will both be missed.